Emotional Performances

Don't you just love it when you hear a song and it moves your heart?

That moment when you can sense the singer is pouring their soul, you can hear it in their voice. More often that not, you can tell whether a singer sing sincerely or merely sing because they have to. 

When a singer sing so emotionally, it gives you chills. 

Some emotional performances that I can recall:

Glenn Fredley
- Sedih tak Berujung, Malaikat juga Tahu.
I love Glenn Fredly, man. He's very soulful in his singing. He makes you believe he's in sorrow.

Sweet Sorrow - You're Lying
The repetition of acusing one's lover of lying over and over again in harmony. Trembles me.

Sandy Simorangkir - Cinta Putih
"Khianaaaaaaaaatiiiiiiiiii
Sebisa dirimu mengkhianaaaaaatiiiii"
Need I say more? That performance was so believable. Ironically, didn't he got cought chating on his fiancee? Before he went to jail. Ironic or not, his rendition on Cinta Putih leaves a strong remark.

Desi Natalia - I Have Nothing
She's a contender on this year's XFactor Indonesia. Her audition moved me. I know this song has been performed and interpreted to death. But a credit's due when a credit's due, don't you think?

Needless to say, the music and lyrics are crucial to a performance. But now I have finally understand why the singer's heart and soul must be put into the soul in order to deliver a memorable performance.

I used to got confused when watching shows like American Idol. The judges always say thing like "put your heart into it" "I don't feel "you" in the song" and thing like that. Those comments made no sense to me. I thought why don't they give a more concrete advice? Like the pitch, perhaps. Or maybe the problems was the nada dasar?
I thought the critics about soul and feeling were nonsense.

Took me long enough, but I finally realize that improvisation should come from your heart. Not because the song arrangement tells you to. And music could touch one's heart, but it needs emotions and heartfelt dynamics in it.

I really hope I will hear more heartfelt songs performanced by Indonesian singers in the future. I don't hear it as often as I'd like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loud Pictures

Mama Papaku kena Covid - PROLOG

Mafalda