The Spirit of Things

I went to Albert & Bintang's church today, Audacious Church. The sermon was excellent. It is something that I've heard a couple of times, but so often forget.

The reason we obey is not in hope to get into heaven.
Heaven is already given to us, by Jesus' sacrifice. And that is why we obey.
We obey because we love Him, not because we HAVE to obey. We obey because we want to please him. Not so we can earn freedom. Freedom is already given to us. He is a BIG God. He doesn't need a huge checklist of what we do and what we do not do. He sees our heart.
The priest this morning gave one example that I thought so hilarious yet so true. He and his friends were fasting. And some of his friends were arguing over whether they can drink tea during fasting. And he reaction was, "Who cares? Don't get so caught up in details, in breaking down things. It's the spirit of things that is important."

This brings me to my previous post. For some reason, I felt guilty and ashamed for admitting that I went to pub. But why should I? I didn't get drunk. I had a drink, yes, a glass of beer. Did Jesus ever said you may not drink alcohol? I don't think so. It is drunkenness, crapulence, that He doesn't approve. My priest at Platt Field drink a glass of beer. And so is my friend David, who regularly invites my classmates to his church bible study. This thought brings me to another things. Why do nuns wear robes and monks shave their head? One of the reason, I believe, is so people see to their behavior instead of their appearances.

I like to believe that God is big, He looks past appearance and into my heart. In the end, what good is a clean act if the heart is filled with hatred and jealousy?

When Jesus was asked by the pharisees about what is the most important commandment, He did not chose one law. He summarized. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these."

This post is not meant for self justify or whatever it may seems. I heard it this morning, and I'd like to share. Someone told me a while back I don't do "pencitraan diri". This is true, to some extent. Most of the time I don't really care what people think of me. Sometimes this is good but sometimes it bothers me. However, this morning I was assured that Jesus himself love me the way I am. That is why I am trying my best to show that I love Him as well.

Lastly, the sermon this morning reminded me of Pywedont. He, too, told me this good news of God's graciousness a year ago. It is overwhelming how much I love him. I miss him so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loud Pictures

Mama Papaku kena Covid - PROLOG

Cooking During Pandemic